Today, #snowpocalypse2015 permitting, the board of directors of the Big Boulder Initiative is meeting up in San Francisco to plan 2015 in more granular detail. As a member, I’m really proud of what we accomplished during the past year, but recognize that there is a lot of ground to cover. Here are some of the highlights of the past year, from a post last week from board director Chris Moody, VP Data Strategy at Twitter:
- We established the first independently operated and self-sustaining 501(c)(6) nonprofit trade association dedicated to establishing the foundation for the long-term success of the social data industry.
- We formed a board of directors comprised of representatives from enterprise, startups and academia within the ecosystem, whose mission is to collectively address key challenges within the industry.
- We published a Code of Ethics and Standards in an effort to define a set of ethical values for the treatment of social data that will be used as a benchmark for companies and individuals associated with the social data industry around the world.
- Earlier this month, BBI hosted a half-day workshop in Boston, hosted by Fidelity Investments. The focus of the workshop was around the ethics of social data.
- We added three new board members:
- Justin DeGraaf, Global Media Insights Director at The Coca-Cola Company
- Mark Josephson, CEO of Bitly
- Farida Vis, Director of the Visual Social Media Lab and Faculty Research Fellow at The University for Sheffield
- Finally, Brandwatch, IBM, NetBase and Twitter have joined the Big Boulder Initiative as founding members. In recognition of their efforts, BBI has added the following board observers to the board of directors:
- Will McInnes, CMO of Brandwatch
- Jason Breed, Partner/Global Lead, Social Business at IBM
- Pernille Bruun-Jensen, CMO of NetBase
- Randy Almond, Head of Data Marketing at Twitter
Over the next several weeks and months, we’ll be holding events (details to come!) and publishing more about our activities. In the meantime, if you’d like to hear about membership or you have any questions about the Big Boulder Initiative overall, please contact:
Big Boulder Initiative Board Secretary